Question: Has anyone ever done a survey of Cushing’s patients regarding weight loss?
Answer: Yes, in 2008, the CSRF did a survey of our members and asked some weight related questions. About 100 members responded and we gained the following information:
The average weight gain was 55 lbs.
Only 16% reported gaining less than 25 lbs.
72% reported that they had lost “most” of the weight they gained.
Of those reporting that they had lost the weight:
- 21% lost it within 3 months
- a total of 38% within 9 months
- a total of 62% within 1 year and
- a total of 79% within 2 years
Of those reporting they had lost the weight,
- 45% said they had to diet and exercise
- 55% said they did not need to diet and exercise
Of those reporting they had not lost the weight:
- 71% were currently taking cortisone replacement
Of those reporting that they had lost their weight:
- 36% reported being on cortisone replacement
Patience, perseverance, diet and exercise can pay off!
By Karen Campbell, Director, CSRF (Winter, 2008)